More than 45,000 people have been killed by the earthquake that slammed Turkey and Syria, and the death toll is anticipated to rise. Around 264,000 residences in Turkey have been demolished, and many more are still missing.
On Friday, eleven days after the earthquake, three people were extricated from the wreckage in Turkey. The current death toll in Turkey is 39,672, while neighbouring Syria has claimed over 5,800 fatalities. The death toll in Syria hasn’t changed in days.
Friday, mosques throughout the globe held funeral prayers for the deceased in Turkey and Syria, many of whom were unable to undergo complete burial rituals due to the magnitude of the calamity.
On Saturday, despite the fact that many foreign rescue teams had departed the enormous seismic zone, local teams resumed searching through collapsed structures in the hopes of finding additional survivors. According to experts, the majority of rescues occur within 24 hours after an earthquake.
The Istanbul Fire Brigade said that Hakan Yasinoglu, in his forties, was rescued in the southern province of Hatay 278 hours after the 7.8-magnitude earthquake hit in the dark of night on February 6.
Previously, Osman Halebiye, 14, and Mustafa Avci, 34, were rescued in the old city of Antioch, Turkey’s historic city of Antakya. While Avci was being brought away, his parents gave him a video call of their newborn child.
“I had almost no hope left. This really is a miracle. They returned my kid to me. “When I saw the debris, I believed no one could be rescued alive from there,” his father said.
Afterwards, Avci was reunited with his wife Bilge and daughter Almile at a Mersin hospital.
Humanitarian organisations report that the survivors will need assistance for months to come because to the widespread destruction of vital infrastructure.
In neighbouring Syria, which has been ravaged by civil war for more than a decade, the majority of casualties have occurred in the northwest, a region held by militants at war with President Bashar al-Assad – a conflict that has hindered attempts to rescue earthquake victims.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights claimed on Friday that government troops shelled the outskirts of Atareb, a rebel-held city severely damaged by the earthquake, for the first time since the tragedy.
The story could not be independently verified by Reuters.
Thousands of Syrians who sought sanctuary in Turkey during their country’s civil war have returned to their homes in the conflict zone, at least for the time being.
Neither Turkey nor Syria has reported the number of individuals still missing after the earthquake.
Families still awaiting the return of loved ones from Turkey are becoming more enraged about what they perceive to be fraudulent construction methods and severely faulty urban planning that led to the destruction of thousands of homes and businesses.
Hundreds were killed when the Ronesans Rezidans (Renaissance Residence) building in Antakya collapsed.
“It was supposed to be earthquake-safe, but you can see the results,” said Hamza Alpaslan, whose brother resided in the apartment building.
“It is in terrible shape. It contains neither cement nor actual iron. That is a genuine hell.”
Turkmenistan has pledged to investigate anybody suspected of being responsible for the collapse of buildings and has ordered the imprisonment of more than a hundred individuals, including developers.
Thursday, the United Nations called for more than $1 billion in funding for the Turkish rescue mission and $400 million for Syrians.